Why Choose Safe, Healthy Food?
For your children & your sake...
Our present food supply uses chemicals from seed sowing to growth to harvest & storage and even transportation. Most new-age foods use highly refined (but nutrition-starved) items like polished white rice, white sugar, maida, preservatives, etc.
Besides, the produce is no longer seasonal and is imported from even across the oceans. This necessitates refrigeration, additional processing and more chemicals.
It is hardly a surprise that diseases like diabetes, heart ailments and cancer are on the rise.
The way out? Choose nutritious food, organically produced and safely delivered to your home.
For our Farmer's sake...
A very small percentage of price you pay actually reaches the farmer who produces it for you. When you pick and choose for aesthetically “good looking” fruits and vegetables, you indirectly pressurize the farmer to use more chemicals. To top it all, we all want cheap food!
The result, many farmers are trapped in debt. No farmer today wants his children to take to farming.
It is hardly a surprise that farmers are also becoming victims of cancer and suicide seems to be the only way out of indebtedness.
The way out? Make food choices that protect our farmers’ livelihood.
For our Planet's sake...
The chemicals used in agriculture has extensively contaminated the air, soil and water. To the extent that in Antarctica (where these chemical have never ever been used), the bodies of penguins have pesticide traces today.
Besides, modern agricultural practices result in increased “Water Footprint“. And by wanting food out of season from around the world, we have significantly increased our “Food Miles“. Exporting food also results in export of “Virtual Water” (also called “Embedded / Embodied Water”), and necessitates use of Ozone Depleting Substances like CFCs, HFCs & HCFCs for refrigeration.
The way out? Make food choices that also protects Mother Nature.
Be Organic, Buy Organic...
Over time, we, the urban consumers, have been calling the shots – demanding cheaper food, prettier and unseasonal fruits & vegetables, longer shelf-life for our groceries, exotic food from afar, tastier and fancier foods.
As consumers demanded more, the food industry is forced to respond with use of fancier and stronger chemicals,
exploitation of the farmer and misuse of our soil, water and air.
First BE ORGANIC...
1. Prioritize safe food over cheap & fancy food
2. Respect the labor of the farmer. Don't beat down the price of his produce
3. Understand the complexity of farming. Try to grow a kitchen garden
4. Commit to protect the environment in your own way. Some ideas... Segregate waste, avoid plastics, use less water and electricity...
5. Avoid fancy technologies (refrigeration, microwaving, etc.) when it comes to food
6. Keep chemicals out of your home (laundry, dish wash, cleaning) and our bodies (soaps, shampoos, lotions, etc.)
7. Read, watch documentaries, videos to educate yourself and your children on social and environmental issues
8. Adapt to natural fabric (cotton) and vegetable dyes
1. Go organic across cereals, pulses, veggies, fruits, spices, sweeteners & oils
2. Choose whole foods over refined foods; develop a taste for rice with bran, pulses with skin, cold-pressed oils, raw cane sugar etc.
3. Know your retailers well. Ask for his sources and request for farm visits to ensure that his farmers are growing food organically
4. Accept not-so-pretty fruits and vegetables
5. Learn to cook and eat local and seasonal produce
6. Understand how to deal with groceries at your end and avoid infestation
7. Avoid processed food items and fast-food